Thursday, November 16, 2017

Ydev anchors!

Youth Development Anchors 

Leading with:
Over the course of the semester we have done a lot of work on leading with youth. I believe this is one of the most important anchors of youth development because whenever I am explaining ydev to anyone I always use that term, leading with. In order for me to practice this I have to believe in it and I have to take chances within a youth space when leading with. At times I find it hard because I sometimes put by teacher hat on and try to make sure everything is structured and organized. In my internship I am trying my hardest to lead with the youth in the space but there are a lot of kids and it gets overwhelming sometimes. I have been working on giving them more of a voice and having choices on the different things we do within the space. When we went to YIA as a class and when they came to us I understand the concept of leading with very well because they are older and I am struggling with leading with within a younger age group. 

Purposeful Play: 
Everything we do in life serves a purpose and gives a deeper meaning to the things we do everyday. Play begins from a young age and whether we know it or not we carry play throughout our adult lives. Picture having two kindergarten aged children playing with blocks side by side. One child is carefully placing each block and taking their time to build something while the other child quickly builds something and tears it down in seconds. You might believe that the child who is taking their time is playing blocks the correct way, but there is no correct way. Everything aspect of play in a child's life they are learning from. As we get older we find interest in may things and may times I believe they can be categorized by play. For example, I love to bake, it's fun for me and I am learning a skill that I enjoy! To me that is play and everything I do from day to day has meaning and a purpose fom growing and learning. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Casey!
    I totally agree with you! Everything we do in life does have a purpose and can have deeper meaning. Just like our purposeful play activities have more meaning than just a grade in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your building box examples are really cool, it is true there is no correct way to play but play can teach you skills that you will carry for the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete