Thursday, December 7, 2017

Ydev Event 1!



Lanterns with Henry Barnard Students
On November 14 I attended an event that was led by the Henry Barnard faculty and students. The second grade students were teaching us how to make lanterns for the holidays that will be displayed on President Sanchez's lawn. I was paired with a second grader named Francesca and she was so excited to teach me and help me make my lantern! Since these lanterns were for the holidays, I put designs for Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa and Francesca said to me "I thought you celebrated Christmas" and I told her that I did and how important it is to recognize all holidays because we all don't celebrate the same ones. She didn't ask anymore questions and went back to focusing on her lantern and I could tell that she was thinking about what I had said because she was looking around to see what others were putting on their lantern. This event was a great experience for me and I took it as an opportunity to network. I gave the second grade teacher my email so that way if she ever needed volunteers in the classroom my sorority sisters and I would love to help. I also loved that fact that it was structured in a way that the students knew what they were doing but they could work with who they wanted and choose how they wanted to design their lanterns. The teachers were not guiding them all that much and they exemplified what leading with to me means.

Here is a picture from the event with some fellow ydev classmates, Rachael, my sorority sisters and some of the second graders from Henry Barnard School!

No comments:

Post a Comment